Friday, June 12, 2009

Sitting

Mary has a wonderful new studio. It's an apartment space, but because of fire safety regulations the landlord can't rent to tenants who care to live there. Enter Mary and several of her artist friends. What a good deal all around!

Another thing I kept getting this trip is what a small place Scotland is. Okay, okay, theoretically I knew that already but these real life examples kept cropping up. For instance: Fiona, my sister-in-law, used to rent one of these rooms when she was a student. One of the very rooms in this apartment ... one of the rooms that Mary now paints in. Wild!

Mary and I arranged that we should have a studio day, Mary getting practice with her fabulous portraiture work, and me feeling like the center of attention. He he! Mostly it was quiet and meditative; I had a beautiful tree out the window to gaze at. I've never sat for an artist before, and it was a total thrill.

The previous study.


Colin custom shelving.




The monochromatic outline.


Getting color ready.



The portrait as we left it that day. And this only in a couple of hours! I was gobsmacked.

3 comments:

  1. AMAZING. This is beautiful, and I'm impressed by your patience! I don't think I could sit for someone that long without feeling self-conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - love your blog - will be in touch properly soon. hope your well, lots of love ellie, marcus and eliza x x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete