Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The public says the darndest things

On Saturday I was taking an order when the woman pointed at the a la cart section and said, "It says here you can order bread or toast - what's the difference?" I pause giving her time to let the light bulb come on, but as the bulb remained unlit, I explained the difference between toast and bread. She ordered the toast.

I shared this anecdote with a coworker who told me, "Yeah, someone once asked me what an almond was."

Which makes me remember the time, a few months ago, a young lady stopped me outside my work where I was changing the specials board. She said, "I'm meeting a friend downtown Bellingham in a restaurant that specializes in desserts - any idea where that might be?" I suggested that she might be meeting her friend in my restaurant. "No," she responds, "it isn't here." I rattle off a few other suggestions that might fit the bill. She says, "It really could be any of those. Do you know which one I'm meeting my friend at?" Uhhhh, "No I sure don't, good luck!"

And finally, what brought this all up was today's interaction. Customer, "Does the three bean chili have pork in it?" Me, "No it is (I almost say vegan at this point, but make a quick character assessment and decide vegetarian would be a better word) a vegetarian soup." Customer, "Yeah, but does it have pork in it?" Me, "Nope!"

The urge to make fun of people is so overwhelming, and, thanks only to our tipping culture, I just don't do it ever. However, resisting that urge is probably making me sick; I should write these down more often.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha - this one made me laugh!!! Hilarious!! I particularly loved the one where the woman expected you to know where she was meeting her friend. This post will make me way more tolerant of 8- 10 year olds!!

    ReplyDelete